Search MY Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Happy Canada Day!

Happy Canada Day! 

July 1st.



Summer is here - and before we know it, it will be gone. So I am planning to embrace as much of it as I can. Eat out on the deck every night unless we have torrential downpours, or hurricane winds. I plan on  having my husband BBQ as much as we possibly can to not have to use the oven. I plan to keep all of my flowers and veggies alive by giving them lots of love and water. I plan on running in the heat and crying before, during and after. (WHAT? I am being honest - who doesn't cry when they are running in the heat? Well, you're probably saying a lot of people - and you're probably right.) I plan on spending time with friends on our deck with cold Corona's with lots of fresh lime. I also plan on using the Vitamix to whip up some icy drinks. I plan on taking some time off to spend time with family. I plan on  wearing tank tops when it is so hot out, even though I despise my arms. I plan on taking Jozie to the park almost every day (on my dog walking days) so that she can roll in the snow bank behind the arena.

I have big plans this summer!!!

What are your plans?

For today I had an early dog walk, and then went with my friend Shellene, and we walked the Gorge Waterway - taking in a bunch of local artists, games, old cars, food and a ton of people watching. I haven't had July 1st off in so many years - so it was a treat. It was hot. Having a Corona on the deck when we got home was deelish.



Lately, I haven't been cooking too many different dishes. During summer we tend to do a lot of grilled meat and vegetables. What I did make not too long ago was a twist on my Rhubarb Custard Pie.
This time they were small and sweet, and oh so good.



The recipe below is altered from the link above.


1 package of puff pastry
2 cups of rhubarb - chopped into pieces
2 cups of fresh strawberries - thinly sliced
1/2 cup of sugar 
1 8 ounce can of canned milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Allow for your puff pastry to thaw. Roll out on a flowered surface and use a bowl to trace a circle that will cover a muffin tin. Spray the muffin tin lightly with cooking spray - and gently push the puff pastry into the muffin tin. 

Put your rhubarb and strawberries in your pie crust. In a large bowl mix your egg, sugar, vanilla, milk and stir until a thin consistency. Pour over top of the rhubarb. Bake in a 425 oven for 15 minutes and then reduce the oven to 350 and bake for another 30 minutes. You may want to watch your pies as they may start to overflow slightly. I ended up adding a sheet of aluminum foil under to catch any drippings.

 

Allow them to cool and use a metal spatula to remove from the tins. Serve with a dollop of ice cream, fresh cream or just on it's own.


Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious Chers, wish I was there on your deck, not with kerona but wine. Love you

Anonymous said...

Just read your July 1st blog, You are so buy and I am so glad that you and Chris get to spend so much time together, I envy you that. the tarts look delicious, want
one of them when I get home the end of July for your bd.