Search MY Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Mother Nature, I love you.



Motha Naytcha.

Mother Nature.

Seriously, Mother Nature, I love you.

I love this time of year. I love it when things in my garden start to grow. They start from something tiny that doesn't look like much - and start to grow into the wonderful lushness that they are supposed to. I feel so fortunate to live in a place where the weather is relatively cooperative, and allows the plants' natural course of action.

I like to call my backyard, my farm. It's by no means a farm. Not even close. Probably the only thing that could sort of be found on a farm that is found in our yard is the weeds growing in one of the side gardens. And maybe the unexpected little 'patties' that our pups leave from time to time. And maybe the vegetables that are growing in the garden. And maybe the fence around eh backyard to keep the livestock in. And by livestock I mean the pups and a cat. But... one pup has repeatedly escapes and the cat can jump over the fence and I am pretty sure you don't see cows doing that. Actually my brother's cows did plough through the fence. I digress...

Anyways, within the past few weeks I have planted all of my tomatoes, herbs, strawberries and flowers. I have tended to them quite consistently - giving them lots of water and love. I have weeded around them and tried to keep the 'livestock' from out of their domains.



I planted herbs in wooden wine boxes this year. My friend, Linn, gave me 3 and I had one that my cuzzie Mitch gave us with some deelish wine in it. I LOVE THEM. I love the look of them - and love the incredible herbs and strawberries that they are growing.


Cilantro 

Basil

Chives

Strawberries

I was so excited tonight to harvest a bunch of herbs and make a tasty, fresh dressing for a quinoa salad. This is the easiest dressing. It's so incredibly flavourful. And it's healthy!!! It's practically Salsa Verde -  just a little fresher.



Fresh Herb Dressing

Cilantro
Chives
Basil
2 cloves of gardlic
2 tbsp of olive oils
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Kosher salt

Add herbs and garlic to the food processor. Chop/grind. Add in the olive oil, lemon juice and kosher salt and chop/grind again.

I use as much of the herbs that I want - and just add a bit more olive oil or lemon - if it needs to be a little more liquidy.



And then I added the 'dressing' to cooked and cooled quinoa with chopped peppers and goat cheese.



Chris rated this a 5++++.

I would love to make this for friends - if you're interested, leave me a comment.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um hello. I am interested.

Love,
Beth Carswell