Search MY Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Running for my Life - and struggling the entire way.

I can't remember if I told you or not, if I have, I apologize in advance, and recommend just moving down to the good stuff. I am training to do a half- marathon. I am really struggling with the 'training' part of doing the half-marathon. I bet you are all thinking - uh, you better be at least running! Can you imagine if I was like - so... I have to do a half marathon in a month and I really should start practicing my running.

This is another edition of Running for my Life:

Physically, the running part of the training is tough - and I knew that it would be. When I had initially wrote out my training plan - after lots of research - I did something to my hamstring. It caused a lot of discomfort - and running any distances other than 5 K was pretty much out of the question. After lots of chiro - Active Response Therapy - aka please don't make me cry again while you torture me - I slowly got back at it. So, my training plan became a bit off schedule. About a month ago, I started at it again. For the past month or so - I have slowly been increasing my long run day by 2 K. Last week I finished 16 K. This week it will be 18 K. During the 'run for my life' my legs are tired. My IT bands tighten up. My hips feel their age. And after awhile my shoulders are tense. When I finish - I walk like I am 90 - treat myself to a huge glass of water - stretch - stretch and then stretch a little bit more - and then I either drive home - or walk up the steps and hang with my pups. And after a little bit of time out of my morning - I go on with my day.

Mentally, if it were only as 'easy' as the physical. Over the past couple of weeks, it's been harder for me to stay positive, stay motivated and not to listen to the voice in my head that tells me I am not good enough; not fast enough; not strong enough; not fit enough; and to just pack it all in. I have struggled with this in the past - and I thought that this was all behind me. For the last couple of weeks - I get to a certain part and try and defend a decision to just stop. I have to go over and over in my mind why I am doing what I am doing, why I need to be so proud of what I am doing, and stopping will only make things worse.

I am excited to see how this all ends. I know that I will cross the finish line. I know that my husband and mom and anyone else who has nothing better to do on a Sunday morning, will be there to see me. I know that my time isn't even something that I am going to worry about. I know that I will cross the line with grace even if it means that I am being pushed in a wheelbarrow - oh that reminds me we need a new tire for ours - and I know that in the end it is probably going to be one of my most proudest and biggest goals that I have set for myself.

It scares me. I know that this is natural. If I wasn't scared, I probably would have done this many years ago. I know that I have worked extremely hard over the past year to get to where I am today. I know that I have so much more hard work to go. I know that I have made some incredible friends on this journey - all who are so supportive and have helped form a new bond that I have with running. You know who you are - and if it wasn't for you guys - I would be doing more than Running for my Life.

After my 14 - I had this note to come home to. 

I will share more stories of this journey - and I hope that if you have ever wanted to do something like this, or a challenge that seems too big for you, know that you can do it. It may not look like the way that you imagined it - and once you start it may be harder than  you ever imagined - but you can do it. It's sort of cliche - but it's really true.

My new motto - I am becoming my own hero.

I am becoming my own hero. 

Alright - now for some food. After you do something physical - fuel the fire. Fire is your belly :)



Peaches season is almost over - but not quite. The Root Cellar has some amazing Okanagan peaches right now. Mouth watering - fresh - delightful. We picked up quite a few last week - so I was excited to do something other than eat them all up (which is a good way to eat them).



Grilled Steak and Peach Salad

1 8 oz steak - or however big or little of a steak you want
2 peaches
Greens - whatever you love
Goat cheese
Olive oil - kosher salt and pepper

Dressing:
1/3 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1/2 cup basil - chiffonaded
1 small garlic clove - minced or grated
Kosher salt and pepper


Drizzle a little amount of olive oil on the steak. Season both sides with kosher salt and pepper. 
Heat up either a grill pan or your barbeque. Grill both sides - to whatever way you like your steak. We like ours medium rare - so I grill for 6 minutes each side. 

Remove the steak from the grill - and let it rest for at least 5 minutes. After the steak has rested, cut it into thin strips. 


While the steak is resting, you can get your peaches ready. Cut the peaches in half and take out the pit. Cut them into slices. Give the grill pan a light spray with cooking spray - and grill each side of the peach. This will only take you a couple of minutes each. 

For the dressing, whisk it all together. Gently toss the greens in a bit of the dressing and add in the goat cheese. 

And then it's time for business. 


Plate the salad with the greens.  Top with the peaches. Then add on the sliced steak. And top with leftover dressing.

The sweet, with the basil, with the flavours from the steak is divine. It's a perfect summer salad - fit for steak and peach lovers. 

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
I am so proud of you, as your dad would be, you have stuck in there and worked hard, and you are ready. I will be standing at the half marathon finish line cheering you on, even if you come over in a wheelbarrow, but I don't have a spare tire, except around my middle